Saturday, November 14, 2009

Climate change!

The weather in Delhi is changing. Suddenly, "winter" is here! That is, the temperature has fallen, from a stable 28-35 degrees celsius to just above 20. When I left Delhi for a roundtrip of the South on the 2nd of October, the heat was still making it difficult to sleep at night. We were sweating sitting still, and in spite of open doors and fan on full speed, the air in our Greater Kailash was stifling.

When I came back to Delhi from the breezy coast three weeks later people were already wearing sweaters. The last couple of weeks have been very pleasant, with sunny days and cool evenings. Since yesterday, though, I think fall is definitively over. According to the newspapers the temperatur today is 23 degrees at the highest and 17 at the lowest, at night. In Norway 17 degrees at night is close to being counted as a "tropical night". Here, it feels more like seven. The marble floors are cold, the water in the faucet is cold, and the mist lays thick in the mornings. I've taken up sleeping with the rasai, a kind of "dyne", and yesterday I wore socks and shoes. Feels very exotic!

That's an update for all you people in Norway who love talking about the weather. And a piece of khas information for my Uncle Arild: 13/5 West Patel Nagar, New Delhi. Can you find me on Google earth?

No comments:

Post a Comment